Jim Kilfoyle Simon Worrall Joe Bedford David Heron Mark Sowerby
StreetView and Map
Directions From Broadstreet
Google Map Parameters
Sandal come into National 2 North having beaten Hinckley RFC in the National III North vs National III Midlands playoff by a 20 points to 10 margin. They had gone to the wire in the last game of the league season to decide the champions of National League III North. Losing out 31 - 22 to North III Champions Sale in front of a heathy 1700 crowd and down to 12 players according to the rolling maul forum.
The players began their preseason training with some nutritional work from Ian Kirke a sports science BSc and MBA student
In June 1927 former Sandal St. Helens player, Mr. Claude Beaumont, who had just completed 25 years service with Wakefield R.F.C., came to reside in Sandal. He quickly realised the potential for a Rugby Union Football Club to be established in the suburb and arranged to meet a number of local sportsmen at the Castle Inn to consider this possibility. Amongst those present were C. T. Stubley (Founder President), W. H. Massie (Founder Chairman), J. T. I. Cropper, J. G. McPhail and E. Tindale and from this small gathering it was resolved to convene a further meeting on the 26th August 1927, at which the Sandal R.U.F.C. was born.
In its early years the Club made steady progress. In 1928/29 and 1929/30 the 1st XV reached the final of the 'Seven-a-Side' competition at Skipton. However, when in only its sixth season in 1932/33, the Club won the Yorkshire Shield by beating Scarborough in the final at Bridlington by 13 pts. to 6.
A year later the side eclipsed its previous success by making its way into the final of the Yorkshire Cup affectionately known as the 'T'owd Tin Pot'. Unfortunately the final was lost to Otley at Bradford by 19pts. to 3.
This successful run in the cup placed Sandal on the 'Football Map' and established the Club in the senior ranks of Yorkshire Rugby.
As the Club's fortunes advanced it was felt that a more permanent home should be secured, so negotiations commenced with Sir Thomas Pilkington, and at a Special General Meeting held on the 11th September 1931 it was unanimously decided to purchase the ground known today as the 1st XV field. Attempts had been made to purchase the 'Tetley Field' which had been used for four years but the owner refused to sell.
From its inception the Club obtained the use of an excellent playing area known as the Tetley Field and used a beer store of the original Walnut Tree public house as its changing rooms. The 2nd XV had to change in an adjacent Joiners shop off Barnsley Road